The Fallen mep Studio

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Fallen mep Studio
The Fallen mep Studio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Editing styles.

4 posters

Go down

Editing styles. Empty Editing styles.

Post  Oerba_Yun_Fang Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I guess this can go here and I'm kind of curious when it comes to editing what's your style, how do you get ideas for your videos and what kinds of music do you use? I suppose I should start off with mine as an example since I asked the question.

My editing style is to use as little effects as possible because I feel it takes away from the meaning in my videos. Yeah I'll put a border in or a texture to give it a bit of flare, but all in all I like watching videos with lots of effects only if its a song with a beat to it. Something like Lady gaga's songs yeah there needs to be a lot of effects but for smoother instrumentals or some game music it don't need very many effects. Masking is another thing I really try to avoid if I have to. Mainly because, 1. Its time consuming especially if I have to rotoscope things. 2. I really don't have the paitence though I tried one with a VP clip I had like 30+ mini shots to rotoscope cause I wanted to give Hrist a daughter. I got down to the last fifteen frames and went can't do it. Which is why I only use masking if I reallllllly want to make a really in depth video. Idea wise. I have to many floating around in my head and they stay there for long periods of time which is only why I get a video out like every other month or so because to me I just can't use any type of music for my ideas the music has to have a meaning to go with the video.

For example my Bonds of Oerba video which got me into this studio had been floating around in my head since a little after the game came out and my intial song of choice was going to be the theme song My Hands , sadly I couldn't get a clear middle and end for the video off that song. So the idea sat in my head some more until I sat down and played the game and came to the cutscene where you first hear the Dust to Dust(Oerba's theme) track in chapter oooh 7 or 8 I think it was 7 cause it was when Light and Fang where having their little talk about Pulse and Fang's lost memories. But as soon as I heard that tune in the backround a lightbulb went off in my head and I went that's the song and everything kind of fell into place after that.

I suppose my style though a bit anal makes my videos some of the best on youtube because I can tell stories and allow people to feel a certain emotion or even my own based on how I want the story to go or if I want to envoke a certain feeling. and my goal in making videos is always to have fun yes but to be sure that I am completely satisfied with it otherwise my viewers and would be subs won't like it.

Oerba_Yun_Fang
Studio Member

Back to top Go down

Editing styles. Empty Re: Editing styles.

Post  Tifa Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:37 am

hmmm well my editting style is pretty relaxed I guess. I don't really like using much effects either cuz it takes too much time for me to figure what looks good or not xD But when i have beaty songs, i will effect whore. I just realized that I like making story videos now so thats probably what i'll be working on for awhile. I tend to get ideas for videos by listening to a song. Once i hear a song that I really like, it will be stuck in my head and a story will just come into mind and then it goes into a video.

Because I always run out of ideas about how to put stuff together and what scenes are best, I tend to work at night because for some reason, it makes my video come out good lol. Also I get inspiration by watching other people's videos (:

I only like to mask when I'm making stories. Other than that, i tend to stay away from it lol
Tifa
Tifa
Studio Member

https://www.youtube.com/playingxfavorites

Back to top Go down

Post  MomoOhMomo Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I like messing with effects, not like flashy, in-your-face kind of effects, but I do enjoy messing with the contrast and colors and adding textures. I like making my videos pretty, I guess. haha.
I really want to get better at fast-paced videos, I've tried doing a couple ones, but I'm terrible with flowing. Mine just look choppy and they don't really fit.
I guess my editing style is more relaxed. I like making dreamy, soft looking videos with songs from Frou Frou or just mellow indie artists. It's easy and I think it makes it more intense. One of these days though, I want to branch off and do an effect-whore video and just go nuts. haha. Wink
MomoOhMomo
MomoOhMomo
Studio Member

https://www.youtube.com/user/MomoOhMomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Oerba_Yun_Fang Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:26 pm

I know I wanna do one of those to but thinking about the effects and everything kinda turns me off to it XD. Glad to see our styles are somewhat similar.

Oerba_Yun_Fang
Studio Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KOS-MOS Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:56 am

I don't use a lot of effects (mostly because the program I use doesn't have a lot to choose from), and I usually sync with the music, and try to match some of the scenes with the lyrics when I'm dealing with a song made by a band (as opposed to trailer music).

KOS-MOS
Studio Member

https://www.youtube.com/user/EmoNekoChan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 pm

I usually tend to focus on the slower paced songs, and try to come up with a story to go with them. I don't effect whore, but coloring is a major thing for me(Color Gradients and Gradient Maps are really major). Masking is also pretty important to me too. I don't go all out with it, but I WILL use it for a few seconds in videos xD;
I tried to effect whore a video for another studio I was in, and the result? Not too good XD
And it made my head hurt and confused me to much to continue to be an effect whore on videos, so I try to stay away from it :0
So yeah. I try to stick with slow, flowy, kinda... soft sounding music that has a lot of emotion packed into it ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum